how to survive the workday without coffee


When I first joined my yoga studio in October 2013, I signed up for their quarterly 21 Day Cleanse (P.S. Cleanse Friendly Recipes coming on November 3rd!).  I wanted to lose weight and make healthier choices, and figured a cleanse would be a good way to kick off my new lifestyle.

The Cleanse consisted of cutting out everything but the basics (fruit, veggies, lean meats, rice) in your diet.  This meant giving up alcohol and... dun dun dun dun! caffeine.  

I was more concerned with giving up the chocolate and bread, but I was amazed at how many of the people in my group were horrified at the thought of giving up their daily cup (or multiple cups) of coffee.

I had never used coffee as a way to boost my energy. I just was tired all the time instead. Many afternoons were spent in my cubicle like this....

I didn't want to rely on coffee to force me to be energetic.  Masking the symptoms of lethargy and sluggishness does not change the fact that underneath the three cups of coffee I am actually just exhausted. I wanted to have energy, but I wanted it to come from me and not from a coffee bean.
lie to me, you beautiful bean

How to Reunite with Your Natural Energy and Survive the Workday:

1. Exercise Regularly: When I started practicing yoga, I noticed a big difference in the amount of energy I had throughout the day.  A few times a day, take a break from your soul-sucking computer and walk around for awhile. I use a free app called Pacer.  If I am sitting for over an hour, it yells at me for being a lazy sloth and orders me to move.  Sometimes I ignore, but usually I do it. And I don't regret it.

2. Snack Throughout the Day: I used to eat three heavy meals throughout the day.  This actually made me more tired and sluggish.  Now, I try to stock my desk with trail mix, fruits, and sliced veggies.  I start the day with a sturdy smoothie or some form of green juice and then snack my heart out the rest of the day.  Sometimes its good to be stuffing your face with grapes as you decipher the email rants of your coworkers. Also, when someone comes up to your desk asking for help, you can scare them off by hospitably offering them a carrot. 

3. Drink Lemon Water: I can't get enough of lemon water. Not only does it keep you hydrated (which is very important to maintain your energy throughout the day), but it also has its own special contributions, read them here

4. Have a Morning Ginger Tea: Instead of coffee, try some ginger tea.  It helps with blood circulation, supports digestion, and tastes YUMMY!





1 comment: