Sunday Morning Breakfast: Tomato, Spinach, and Eggs

Sometimes I get hungry. On those occasions, I eat. I eat when I'm not hungry too but I'm working on that.

Anyways. This unending cycle of hunger and consumption usually consists of quick, microwaveable meals that are probably not so healthy. During the week, they are eaten during ten to fifteen minutes snatches of the day, usually in front of a work screen, and are not often as relaxing as one would hope for a meal. The weekends are different though.

On the weekends, there's more than just ten minutes to decide, prep, "cook", and consume my meal. The weekends are a leisurely time when I can eat what I want, at the pace I want, constructing a dish that is as varied and fresh as I want. It's an exciting time, the weekend. A moment of temporary liberation from the tedium of the capitalist system of labor and minute reward. But I digress.

Today, I cooked a meal. 

And it was delicious.
Breakfast today consisted of: scrambled eggs with spinach, fresh chopped tomatoes, and a side of salsa; a side dish of black beans, tomatoes, and onions; a slice of toasted whole wheat bread; and a cup of tea, lovingly made. (Just kidding - the tea boiled over because I was busy chopping some things. It was such a mess. Consider this a warning.)



To make this side dish, I used:
1 can black beans
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp coconut oil
a pinch of chili powder
a pinch of pepper
chopped spinach to garnish

To prepare:
  1. Heat coconut oil on the pan over a medium flame.
  2. Add chopped onions, making sure that the onions are well coated in the oil. This will keep the pan from burning. Stir occasionally while allowing the onions to sit and cook evenly. Onions will begin to brown after about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Dice your tomatoes and rinse the black beans in cool water.
  4. When the onions begin to brown, add in black beans. Mix thoroughly, stirring occasionally. (Pay attention to stirring around the bottom of the pot. Burned beans are gross).
  5. Add spices. Mix thoroughly. 
  6. Let sit for 1-2 minutes before mixing in the tomato. 
  7. Still occasionally stirring, let cook for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Shut the heat off and move off of heat. Allow 5 minutes to cool before serving. Garnish with chopped spinach. Serves 2.

For the eggs, I used:
1 tsp coconut oil
1 egg + 2 egg whites
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup spinach
chopped spinach to garnish

To prepare:
  1. Heat coconut oil on the pan over a medium flame. 
  2. Mix egg and egg whites thoroughly in a separate bowl. 
  3. Add any desired spices to eggs. I used a bit of cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and assorted Indian spices that live in my shelves. 
  4. Pour eggs into pan, stirring frequently after initial bottom layer of egg has had a moment to firm. 
  5. After 3 minutes, when the eggs are mostly cooked, add chopped tomatoes into the mix. Stir.
  6. Make sure you've cleaned your spinach properly in cold water before decreasing the flame to medium-low and adding it to your eggs, allowing about 3 minutes to wilt. 
  7. Remove from flame and allow 1 minute to cool before serving. Garnish with chopped spinach. Serves 2.
As I mentioned, I added a slice of toast and organic salsa on the side and exploded brewed a nice cup of tea to complete this meal and would totally recommend doing that. 

Happy Sunday!

1 comment: